Only one more day before my ‘vacation’ begins and of course I have some big projects planned. I am usually very busy during my vacation and often go for several days without turning my computer on even to check email therefore it is highly unlikely that I will be writing any blog posts. So, before I get too busy to write I wanted to briefly tell you about a ‘little’ project that has been keeping me busy for the last few weekends.
You may remember back in December I wrote about the various lofts we have had in our play space over the past ten years. In that post I explained that we were no longer using the loft as part of our play space but would instead use that space for additional storage.
Admittedly it was a very convenient spot to store cots, bedding, books, toys, and other bulky items. In fact, it may have been too convenient to store things in the loft. As more and more things got tossed into the loft it was becoming apparent that getting anything out of the loft was going to be a major ordeal. So, although it was not on my list of ‘fun weekend projects’ I resigned myself to the task of cleaning out and reorganizing the loft storage space.
Then there was another interesting development. My oldest still-living-at-home son decided to move into his own apartment and took a bunch of his stuff leaving empty space. So, I reorganized the basement toy storage area along with the loft storage area and when I was done there was nothing left to store in the loft!
An empty loft doesn’t really use up any floor space but it is an awfully big item in a small room and if it is not needed why not take it down. Now, taking it down is not a simple project when there are other items in the room that are attached to the loft. Once I had decided that the loft was going my first step was to make a plan for how to rearrange the items that were going to be remaining. Things like the block bin which was constructed between the upright supports for the loft – it was going to have to be rebuilt as a freestanding unit.
It was a somewhat slow process that was done in small phases over several weekends. The playroom went from this ‘using the loft for storage’ space;
There is still a lot of finish work yet to be done and I have to decide what to do about the flooring – that was going to be a separate blog post but this renovation forced me to remove the old mats earlier than planned and I still don’t know what I’m going to replace them with. For now we’ll just have to make due with what we have because I have bigger things planned for my vacation. 🙂