It has been a while since I wrote about making any changes to our play space – that doesn’t mean I haven’t made any changes. I have actually made many, many changes since last summer but just never wrote a post. Maybe I didn’t feel the project was complete, maybe it was just a small change not worth a post, or maybe it was a change that I didn’t like – that happens sometimes, my visions don’t always translate into reality. Most likely though, I waited to see how the change ‘worked’ and then got busy and forgot to write.
So, here are some updated photos of the playroom after the most recent long weekend reno. First, an overview (it is impossible to get everything in one photo – and this one is blurry too).
The shelf units that house the mini scenes were moved from the nature area to the housekeeping/dramatic play side of the playroom. I think they may be used more often now that they are here instead of the dark corner of the nature area.
The dollhouse shelves are here too – they need some repairs and new furniture. This space hasn’t been a priority for a long time due to lack of ‘appropriate’ interest from the current group – I’m hoping to change that. For now the addition of a new steering wheel has been the highlight of the reno for the boys.
They have always used the spinning maze as a steering wheel for their car/truck/school bus dramatic play – now they have two, and the mirror is an added bonus – they love to watch themselves play.
I recently moved the table and the dress up clothes but the rest of the housekeeping area hasn’t changed since summer. It looks like this;
The cash register was moved off the kitchen counter and now has its own space – not sure yet if I’ll add anything to the shelves or leave that for the children to decide what to ‘sell’;
The nature area is now a ‘toy free’ zone intended solely for reading, relaxing or looking out the window. This has already dramatically improved the issues related to running and jumping back and forth between play areas and fighting over space on the old reading couch.
The block bin was moved over to make room for the table – which now is also used as a serving counter or ‘take out window’. The new angle of the block bin means the building area is not blocking a walkway anymore either.
The music area hasn’t really changed since last summer but I don’t think I ever posted a picture of it – and I still haven’t got more green paint…
The other ‘favouite’ new addition is the workbench. This was the storage area for tools and miscellaneous toys before but it didn’t have a workbench. I always considered the top of the block tin to be a workbench – the children did not. They love this.
I like it too – I’m going to add some more tools but first I have to buy some…. 🙂